Helene P.Dreyer Koch is an estate planning attorney in Indian Wells, California, focusing on Wills, Trusts and Probate. She is also a skilled legal writer and dynamic public speaker. (760) 360-2400.
- What Is a Discretionary Trust?
- How Can You Help with Their College Expenses?
- What Is a POLST and Do I Need One Instead of a Medical Power of Attorney?
- California Passes Right to Die Law
- DIY Death Transfer by Deed Is No Substitute for a Good Estate Plan
- Supreme Court Upholds Same Sex Marriage
- Remember: Update Insurance Policies When You Put Property In Your Trust
- Dangers of Do It Yourself Wills and Trusts
Tag Archives: do it yourself wills
In a previous post, I discussed An Example of What Can Go Wrong When You Make Your Own Will, as well as an article, Consumer Reports: Write Your Own Will? We tested 3 software products that claim to help you … Continue reading
Do-it-yourself Wills: a sad story of planning gone wrong. Here is a case study by Janet L. Brewer, detailing some of the bad things that can happen when you make your own Will. Read about John, widow and father, faced … Continue reading
Top 10 Mistakes People Make in Estate Planning, Wills and Trusts: # 2 – Too Much Reliance on Self Help
A frequent mistake people make is relying too much upon self help. Most self-made plans or informal arrangements sound good on the front end, but turn out bad in the long run. For example: Don’t put property into joint names … Continue reading