Helene P.Dreyer Koch is an estate planning attorney in Indian Wells, California, focusing on Wills, Trusts and Probate. She is also a skilled legal writer and dynamic public speaker. (760) 360-2400.
- What Is a Discretionary Trust?
- How Can You Help with Their College Expenses?
- What Is a POLST and Do I Need One Instead of a Medical Power of Attorney?
- California Passes Right to Die Law
- DIY Death Transfer by Deed Is No Substitute for a Good Estate Plan
- Supreme Court Upholds Same Sex Marriage
- Remember: Update Insurance Policies When You Put Property In Your Trust
- Dangers of Do It Yourself Wills and Trusts
Category Archives: Financial Power of Attorney
Top 10 Mistakes People Make in Estate Planning, Wills and Trusts: # 7 – Failure to Plan for Incapacity
Planning for Incapacity is easily overlooked for two reasons: (1) most people associate estate planning with death; and (2) thinking about one’s own mortality is discomforting enough — thinking about the possibility of Alzheimer disease, dementia, coma or other mentally … Continue reading
Why should I make a trust? This is a common question. In this series of posts, here’s twenty great reasons to have a trust! Part A: Planning for Incapacity. Dementia, Alzheimers, Coma, etc. 1. A trust avoids the probate court. … Continue reading
Even if you have a Trust, you still need a Power of Attorney because it applies, during your lifetime, to management and control of your property that is not in a Trust. Certain property does not get put into your … Continue reading
A Power of Attorney for Financial Matters appoints someone to manage your assets and pay your bills. It can take effect immediately, or it can be limited so that it only takes effect if you become incapacitated. A “durable” power … Continue reading
Estate Planning Everyone Should Have Estate Planning is about Life. It’s about security for those you love. It’s protection for yourself, if you become incapacitated. It’s a tool for creating a legacy or preserving a heritage. It’s a means … Continue reading