What is an Advance Healthcare Directive, a Power of Attorney for Healthcare, and a Living Will, and what’s the difference between them?

These documents generally refer to medical decision-making, especially end-of-life decisions.  The document name sometimes varies by state, which is why there are so many terms. In California, it’s usually called an “Advance Healthcare Directive”, which generally means the same thing as a “living will” or a “power of attorney for healthcare”.

Whatever its name, this is a document that you use to tell others what to do if you are unable to make your own medical decisions, tells them under what circumstances (if any) you would wish to be removed from artificial life support, and appoints a person you have selected to consent to (or withhold consent from) medical procedures when you are unable to do so.

It is a critically important document to have. There have been many cases in the news of family members battling in the courts over whether or not a loved one should be kept on life support or allowed to pass comfortably. One such well known case was that of Terry Schiavo in Florida.

You can download a form to use for this purpose at the California Attorney General website.

About Helene P. Dreyer Koch

Estate Planning Attorney (Wills, Trusts, Probate) Indian Wells, California * 760.360.2400
This entry was posted in Healthcare Power of Attorney and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Post a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s